- The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing.
- You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother.
- Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
- Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler.
- Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind.
- A table, a chair, a bowl of fruits and a violin. What else does a man need to be happy ?
- Force always attracts men of low morality.
- God always takes the simplest ways.
- Great spirits have always encountered a violent opposition from mediocre minds.
- Heroism on command, senseless violence, and all the loathsome nonsense that goes by the name of patriotism – how passionately I hate them.
- I do not believe in the god of theology who rewards good and punishes the evil.
- I live in that solitude which is painful in youth, but delicious in the years of maturity.
- Imagination is everything. It is a preview of life’s coming attractions.
- Look deep into nature, and than you will understand everything better.
- My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind.
- Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former.
- Our task must be to free ourselves by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature and its beauty.
- The deep emotional conviction of the presence of a superior reasoning power, which is revealed in the incomprehensible universe, forms my idea of God.
- The monotony and solitude of a quiet life stimulates the creative minds.
- The only source of knowledge is experience.
- The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination.
- We still don’t know one thousandth of one percent of what nature has revealed to us.
- The crippling of individuals I consider the worst evil of capitalism. Our whole educational system suffers from this evil. An exaggerated competitive attitude is inculcated into the student, who is trained to worship acquisitive success as a preparation for his future career.
- Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great.
- A banker is a fellow who lends you his umbrella when the sun is shining, but wants it back the minute it begins to rain.
- Of all the animals, man is the only one that lies.
- Don’t part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.
- Good friends, good books and a sleepy conscience – this is the ideal life.
- You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
- Work is a necessary evil to be avoided.
- The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
- Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.
- How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?
- A good decision is based on knowledge and not on numbers.
- Opinion is the medium between knowledge and ignorance.
- All things will be produced in superior quantity and quality, and with greater ease, when each man works at a single occupation, in accordance with his natural gifts, and at the right moment, without meddling with anything else.
- One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors.
- Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something.
- There is no great genius without some touch of madness.
- Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work.
- At his best, man is the noblest of all animals; separated from law and justice he is the worst.
- It is during our darkest moments that we must focus to see the light.
- The whole is more than the sum of its parts.
- A friend to all is a friend to none.
- Love is composed of a single soul inhabiting two bodies.
- Hope is a waking dream.
- Wit is educated insolence.
- If you want a thing done well, do it yourself. [Napoleon]
- Humor is just another defense against the universe. [Mel Brooks]
- Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. [Mahatma Gandhi]
- Without music, life would be a mistake. [Friedrich Nietzsche]
- Hell is full of musical amateurs. [George Bernard Shaw]
- Trying is the first step towards failure. [Homer Simpson]
- God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh. [Voltaire]
- Wisdom begins in wonder. [Socrates – Greek Philosopher 469 BC – 399 BC]
- Not all those who wander are lost. [J. R. R. Tolkien]
- When you’re curious, you find lots of interesting things to do. [Walt Disney]
- All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them. [Walt Disney]
- Sensual pleasures have the fleeting brilliance of a comet; a happy marriage has the tranquility of a lovely sunset. [Ann Landers]
- Big results require big ambitions. [Heraclitus – Greek Philosopher 544 BC – 483 BC]
- Don’t walk behind me; I may not lead. Don’t walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend. [Albert Camus]
- Friends show their love in times of trouble, not in happiness. [Euripides – Greek Poet 480 BC – 406 BC]
- Don’t judge each day by the harvest you reap but by the seeds that you plant. [Robert Louis Stevenson]
- It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop. [Confucius]
- If you’re going through hell, keep going. [Winston Churchill]
- There is always room at the top. [Daniel Webster]
Yogi Berra Explains Jazz:
Can you explain jazz?
I can’t, but I will. 90% of all jazz is half improvisation. The other half is the part people play while others are playing something they never played with anyone who played that part. So if you play the wrong part, its right. If you play the right part, it might be right if you play it wrong enough. But if you play it too right, it’s wrong.
I don’t understand.
Anyone who understands jazz knows that you can’t understand it. It’s too complicated. That’s what’s so simple about it.
Do you understand it?
No. That’s why I can explain it. If I understood it, I wouldn’t know anything about it.
Are there any great jazz players alive today?
No. All the great jazz players alive today are dead. Except for the ones that are still alive. But so many of them are dead, that the ones that are still alive are dying to be like the ones that are dead. Some would kill for it.
What is syncopation?
That’s when the note that you should hear now happens either before or after you hear it. In jazz, you don’t hear notes when they happen because that would be some other type of music. Other types of music can be jazz, but only if they’re the same as something different from those other kinds.
Now I really don’t understand.
I haven’t taught you enough for you to not understand jazz that well.